THE RESCUE OF RAMBA
Ramba: the last circus elephant in Chile
What Does It Take To Rescue An Elephant From The Bottom Of The World?
- a coalition spanning 3 countries and 2 continents
- 3 NGOs who have never said never
- a global support system of heroes, volunteers and donors
- and one cargo plane with a very large door opening to fly an 8500# elephant in her 10,000# crate over the Andes Mountains in winter
Ramba’s story is that made of villains and heroes. Of roadblocks and victories. Of agony and hope. Of an elephant and those who love her determined that her 50+ years of loneliness, abuse and suffering will come to an end. That she will never spend another moment of her remaining years without a trunk touch from one of her own kind.
MEDIA & PRESS KIT
Ramba’s flight from Santiago, Chile to Campinas, Brazil
October 16, 2019
Tentative arrival at Elephant Sanctuary Brazil
October 19, 2019
ELEPHANT SANCTUARY BRAZIL
Chapada dos Guimarães, Mato Grosso, Brazil
Nearest town: Rio de Casca, MT, Brazil
Nearest large city: Cuiaba (3 hours away)
GLOBAL SANCTUARY FOR ELEPHANTS
Legal Address: 9010 Hood Place, Brentwood TN 37027
Mailing: PO Box 2426, Brentwood, TN 37024
RAMBA’S ROADSIDE ZOO LOCATION IN CHILE
Parque Safari/Chile Safari Park
- last circus elephant in Chile
- approximately 53 years old
- circus elephant for over 40 years
- confiscated due to abuse and neglect
- moved to a roadside zoo while waiting transfer to a sanctuary in the US
- those plans fell through, has been waiting ever since- 7 years at the roadside zoo
- being rescued to Elephant Sanctuary Brazil
- Global Sanctuary for Elephants, Ecopolis and Santuário de Elefantes working together on her rescue
- needs to be flown due to her proximity to the Andes Mountains
- a lot of support needed to make her rescue happen
Ramba’s 2551-mile rescue from the roadside zoo in Chile to Elephant Sanctuary Brazil
PRESS PHOTOS & VIDEOS
***ALL PHOTOS HAVE BEEN PERMANENTLY REMOVED DUE TO VERY LARGE FILE SIZES ***
Copyright Notice: Copyright of all photos and videos are owned by Global Sanctuary for Elephants or its affiliates. All photographs are provided for a limited one-time use specifically related to media coverage of “Ramba’s rescue.” Licensee shall affix to each reproduction the following copyright notice: ©  Global Sanctuary for Elephants (or other affiliate identifiers if noted) and provide notification of when and where media coverage can be found once published, posted or aired.
Download All Press Photos (15.6 MB) or select an individual photo below.
Ramba in the Circus – 40+ years in Argentina and Chile
Ramba At the Roadside Zoo – current location in Chile since 2012
Ramba’s Future Home – Elephant Sanctuary Brazil
DOWNLOAD GLOBAL SANCTUARY FOR ELEPHANTS LOGO
IN THE NEWS
Our 2016 rescue of our first elephants, Maia and Guida, garnered world-wide media coverage. We have included links to a few of those stories here to give you a glimpse of the global interest in elephant rescues. Please click on the logos below to read and watch their coverage.
We Are Grateful To You
Whether you run a piece for Ramba or not, please know that we are grateful for the time you have taken to look over her photos and read her story. Thank you.