An Update on Ramba

Ramba in Chile

Ramba continues to do well in Chile. Unfortunately, she is still waiting, but we are taking a different and newly recommended route to try and get quick approval for her CITES permits. Of course, we have been told it would be fine before, and ‘quick’ is relative here, but everyone involved is hopeful. And there are many people involved in getting her here and resolving permit issues.

Consu is still with Ramba, but Carolina has taken a different job, although she comes back on occasion to help with foot care. This means Ramba has a new caregiver, Diego. We have always found that having male energy around elephants brings a nice balance, and Consu is seeing the same thing. Diego is slowly moving forward with Ramba, allowing her to get to know the new person in her life. While she learns to trust him, he gets to know who she is, how she moves, her likes and dislikes. It’s a process, but Ramba is easy as long as you respect her space.

Here’s hoping for positive news soon. ?

May 31, 2019




  1. REPLY
    Debbie Sides says

    Oh I hope she gets to ESB this year. That would be the best news! We haven’t forgotten you sweet girl!

  2. REPLY
    Sherry says

    I don’t understand why it is taking so long for Ramba to be approved and moved to her new home?!!! If there is an elephant
    sanctuary in Ramba’s country why can’t she be moved to a caring and loving home?

    • REPLY
      Kat Blais says

      We are the only elephant sanctuary in all of Latin America. Part of us choosing Brazil was because of the need. And the wait is all about bureaucracy. We are hoping to get through all of the red tape soon. If there was a loving home to send her to, we would gladly see her go there. Unfortunately, there is not.

  3. REPLY
    Susan says

    Thank you for the update on sweet Ramba. Fingers crossed you will hear some good news on the permits soon. Love you Ramba ❤️?❤️?❤️?❤️????

  4. REPLY
    Kelejan says

    So hoping Ramba gets to her new home ASAP.

  5. REPLY
    Izzy says

    Is this just a red tape issue for this particular case? Or are all future rescues going to get stuck while CITIES permits go through?

    • REPLY
      Kat Blais says

      This is a red tape issue, but one that when it is cleared up, should clear up that same issue for all elephants coming to sanctuary from outside of Brazil.

Post a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.